Wave 2 eHealth Lead Sites
The key objectives of these Wave 2 eHealth Lead Sites were to achieve national demographic coverage, widespread coverage across the healthcare sector, deliver early benefits and demonstrate new and innovative concepts.
NEHTA claimed that these eHealth sites offered:
- A proposed population reach that has the potential to include up to 30% of the Australian population in an eHealth site.
- Targeting of a broad number of key groups such as mothers and newborns, aged care, people with chronic conditions, palliative care and Indigenous populations.
- Coverage of all states and territories and rural and regional communities.
- Inclusion of a number of healthcare sectors - public and private, primary care, aged care and private specialists.
- Broad coverage of the vendor community, with vendors comprising the majority of the market in acute and primary care involved in one or more of the sites.
- Projects which test and support broad consumer engagement and registration.
- The broad set of functions that the PCEHR will need to provide so that lessons and foundations can be derived to support the development of national infrastructure. In addition to Health Summaries, Discharge Summaries and Medications, the portfolio also includes Personal Health Diary and Consumer Portal implementations.
- Delivery of early benefits in a range of areas, including improved coordination of care, enhanced continuity of care, improved medication management and the delivery of sustainable components which will enable later integration with the national infrastructure.
The nine Wave 2 sites received some $55million collectively. Each project had to submit detailed plans by 31st May 2011.
There were 9 Wave 2 sites, announced on 29th March , 2011:
- Brisbane South
- The NSW Department of Health
- Department of Health and Human Services (Tasmania)
- Calvary Health Care ACT Limited
- Northern Territory Department of Health and Families
- St Vincent and Mater Health Sydney Limited
- Fred IT Group Pty Limited
- Medibank Private Limited
- Mater Misericordiae Health Services Brisbane
No record of any outcomes or evaluations have been placed on the public record, despite substantial public funding.